Monday, July 8, 2013

I'm Back!

I haven't been much of a blogger in a while, but the desire has strongly returned and I realized it needs to be done - not only for myself, but for others as well.  Since my weight loss surgery (WLS) almost a year ago, I, like many others, have indulged myself in blogs about food - Bariatric Foodie, The World According to Egg Face.  They are awesome blogs with great recipes and tips about what we should and should not eat - whether you are a WLS patient or not!

What I'm having a hard time finding are blogs by WLS patients about exercise.  Sure there are plenty of exercise blogs, but there's something about reading experiences from those who have had WLS, especially when it comes to finding the right foods to eat prior, during, and after exercise without Dumping Syndrome or having issues with our sensitive tummies.

I remember my very first set of appointments prior to WLS.  One of my them was with a physical therapist.  We discussed my current exercise and they provided me with simple, post-op exercises to work on.  Up to today, that was the ONLY appointment I have had throughout this entire journey that emphasized any exercise - and that was over a year ago!  Do they ask me at my regular checkups if I'm exercising?  Sure.  But do they put any emphasis on it?  Not at all.  It's great I still see a dietitian, but food is only PART of this journey.  Those 20% that you hear about failing from WLS - they don't just fail because they go back to bad habits.  Part of the reason they fail is the lack of tools and education provided by these Bariatric Clinics - both with food and exercise.

So this is my promise to you:  I'm not only going to pass on what I've learned about calories, carbs, and protein, I'm also going going to share what I've learned about exercising post WLS.  Most importantly, I'm going to share HOW to eat post WLS WITH exercise - because getting all your nutrition/calories in with such a small tummy can be hard when you're burning calories!

My goal is to have at least 3 blogs a week - so keep an eye out and follow me!

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I am not a WLS patient, but you are still an AMAZING inspiration to me. I am happy for you, and for your family that you made this choice and are doing such great things with your new life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi!!! I really appreciate your kind words - they mean more than you may know :-)

      Delete