Sunday, August 11, 2013

Never Give Up, No Matter What

Such a common phrase can have many stories and I'd like to share one with you about someone I know who defines never giving up - no matter what.

Julie Silverman is a dear friend of mine who has lost 120 lbs and is one of the most active people I know. She recently competed in a Duathlon, which consisted of a 2 mile run, 11 mile bike, and another 2 mile run. The story she shared with myself and others regarding this race is truly inspirational and amazing, and I'd like to share it with all of you.

"Post race report! I did my first Duathlon this weekend and thought I would post some of the gory details for the benefit of those of us who might want to exercise more but are intimidated by the gym, fitness classes or (heaven forbid!) signing up for a race like a 5K.

I ended up finishing dead last out of a field of 228 finishers. Am I embarrassed? Hell NO! There were 250 total participants. Some didn't show up and some that did show up didn't finish. And I am willing to bet that NONE of them were fighting off iron-deficiency anemia.

I started out slow on the run. After the first half mile I was at the back of the pack. I noticed a few gals ahead of me were slowing down. I tried to muster up a run to catch up with one particular gal. I was going to ask her if she wanted to speed walk together. I got about 10 feet away and she took a hard right into the grass, down a hill and into the parking lot. She quit. That made me really sad, but I kept going.

On the bike ride I passed a gal whose rear brakes had fallen apart. She was out of the race. Then there were hills. LOTS of them. I cursed out loud up each one. Glad I was at the back of the pack so no one could hear me. At mile 8 I saw a younger fit looking gal pushing her bike up a hill. I thought "Oh no. Her bike must be broken." At the top of the hill she got on and started riding again. Bike was fine. She was struggling. I eventually passed her and told her to keep going, she was doing great.

When I got back to the transition area I found that some jackass had squatted in my spot on the bike rack. That cost me at least a minute trying to find a different spot to park my bike. Grrr! Then I ran again.

As I rounded the last corner there were at least 20-25 volunteers waiting for me at the finish line screaming like crazed fans and a rock concert! I got high fives and hugs galore! And a shiny finisher's medal. I was high as kite on life.

When I looked at the results later and saw that I finished last I realized that there were many behind me who didn't finish. I didn't feel intimidated or embarrassed about being last. I felt proud. This was a tough field of really good athletes and I made it. It was awesome!

Now get out there, move and do something awesome!"
-Julie Silverman

Julie, a big THANK YOU for sharing such a wonderful story and allowing me to share it with those who follow Mom to the Max.  I am very proud of you and even more proud to call you my friend.  I think I speak for many people when I say you truly are an inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment